Despite mostly working together in an online environment, our team at Tech in Asia (YC W15) has a pretty rich culture. It’s hard to explain how we managed that, but somehow, a culture just developed. It’s the people that shape the culture and that very culture bonds us together. We don’t have the luxury of having face-to-face conversations often but memes and emoticons have been a great replacement.
Our team members only meet twice or thrice a year for our major conferences in Singapore, Tokyo, and Jakarta but we never feel awkward interacting with one another. We believe we have something unique brewing so we wanted to capture the essence of the Tech in Asia’s culture in our culture code deck embedded below. Just so people understand who we really are, be it for our readers or for future members of the Tech in Asia team. Our culture code:
- We are obsessed with our customers, not competitors
- We believe in work+life, not work versus life
- We communicate transparently within team members
- We are focused on data and KPIs
- We get things done with a strong sense of urgency (#SOU)
- Media: Tech in Asia is a publication covering all things tech and startups in Asia. Games in Asia covers all things games in Asia.
- Event: Tech in Asia Conference is a 2-day event that connects the tech community in Asia at handshake level
- Startup platform: Techlist is an online service to track startups in Asia.
To serve and build Asia’s startup ecosystem.
- To become the “Bloomberg of tech in Asia.”
- To become the news site and platform of choice and host the most worthwhile events for technology and startups in Asia.
- To create a truly virtual, happy, and startup-ish workplace for our team members.
Integrity: Integrity is at the heart of our business. It should be reflected by our actions, articles published, and conferences organized. Our full ethics statement can be found here.
Customer first: Readers and clients are our number one priority. Followed by our team members and shareholders. But that doesn’t mean that we will compromise our ethics to serve them.
Passion: Positive attitude towards work and never giving up, doing what you believe is right.
Teamwork: Teamwork enables ordinary people to achieve extraordinary things.
Efficiency: Work fast, avoid time-wasting, and have a strong sense of urgency.
Quality: Obsessed with quality — Quality in choice of news, writing, and events hosted.
Who are we looking for to join our team?
We are looking for someone who is:
- Willing to fight for the team’s cause and not for self glory
- Genuinely nice people with a kind heart
- Not looking for a short-term return
- Not looking for a 9-to-5 job but is seeking for a roller-coaster ride with a team of crazy people
- Believes in our mission, values, and culture
- Works hard and plays hard
If you fit the bill, join us.