Use your < > keys to browse more stories

Thai man dies while talking on his charging iPhone

elecshock1

A Thai man from Chanthaburi province died laying on the floor talking on his iPhone while it was charging.

The police were called by the victim’s father to the house and found a body of a 28-year-old man laying on the floor, topless with red short pants. In his left hand he was holding a black iPhone 4S connected to a charger that was in the power outlet.

Local police suspect that the deceased was using the phone in bed while he was falling asleep. A burn was found on the left side of his chest, and the left hand that was holding the iPhone was burnt to the extent that his skin had stuck to it.

elecshock2The young man’s father said that normally his son goes to bed around 11pm. He usually sleeps on the floor without a shirt, just as he was found. The father said he could hear his son making noises but thought he was just sleep-walking. Then in the morning, the father went into his young man’s room and found him dead.

Initially, police suspect the cause of death is from electrocution via the phone charger. There’s no confirmation whether the iPhone charger and cable were genuine or fake, but photos supplied to Thailand’s Dailynews site show the iPhone’s wall plug is blue, which means it’s not a standard-issue iPhone charger – always a dangerous thing.

Local authorities are awaiting the autopsy result to confirm the cause of death.

We have seen similar cases with charging iPhones in China and Thailand.

(Source: Dailynews.co.th)

(Editing by Steven Millward)



Facebook Conversation

comments

Tags:

Did you enjoy this article? Consider becoming a TiA Insights subscriber.At just $9.99/month, TiA Insights brings you exclusive access to our weekly newsletter, a one-page roundup of each week’s must-read Asia tech news from all over the web. With TiA Insights, you’ll also get to receive a bi-monthly E-Magazine which makes a perfect weekend read. Click here to find out more.