It’s happening: PayPal will be increasing its payment processing fees for multiple countries in Asia. The policy will take effect automatically on 10 September.
The changes are made to ensure PayPal can improve its product offerings with better merchant protection and checkout experiences for consumers, said a company spokesperson.
To help you through the fog that is PayPal’s extremely complex pricing fee structure, here’s a roundup of the changes:
Countries affected: China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam
|Commercial payments fee|
|Standard rate||3.4% + fixed fee||3.9% + fixed fee|
|Standard eBay rate||3.4% + fixed fee|
|Merchant rate||From 2.4% to 3.4% + fixed fee||From 2.9% to 3.9% + fixed fee|
|Merchant eBay rate||From 2.4% to 3.4% + fixed fee|
|Standard rate||3.9% + fixed fee||4.4% + fixed fee|
|Standard eBay rate||3.9% + fixed fee|
|Merchant rate||From 2.9% to 3.9% + fixed fee||From 3.4% to 4.4% + fixed fee|
|Merchant eBay rate||From 2.9% to 3.9% + fixed fee|
Countries affected: China, Hong Kong, Japan, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam
|Micropayments for digital goods fees|
|Standard rate||5% + micropayment fixed fee||5.5% + micropayment fixed fee|
|Standard eBay rate||5% + micropayment fixed fee (Hong Kong only)|
|Standard rate||5.5% + micropayment fixed fee (Japan: 5^% to 5.3 %)||6% + micropayment fixed fee|
|Standard eBay rate||5.5% + micropayment fixed fee (Hong Kong only)|
1. Standard Rates exclude transactions on eBay website, Website Payments Pro – Hosted Solution,Virtual Terminal, PayPal Here and carrier billing products.
2. Standard eBay rates apply for transactions on eBay website only.
3. A Commercial Payment includes the following:
- A payment for the sale of goods or services;
- A payment received after the Seller has used the ”Request Payment” tab on the PayPal website; or
- A payment that is sent to, or received by, a business or other commercial or non-profit entity.
4. To qualify for a Merchant Rate, you must submit a one-time application, have a qualifying monthly sales volume, and have an Account in good standing.
5. Official statement from PayPal for the fee increase: “The change will ensure that PayPal can continue to provide top quality payment processing solutions to help merchants grow their business. Through continuous investment, PayPal continues to bring innovation and added value to merchants in the field of e-commerce and m-commerce, and improve our current product offerings to help businesses grow by enabling them to accept payments from customers around the world faster, safer and more conveniently. This includes providing the best policies and services through our latest developments in risk, ensuring that merchants remain protected and are kept safe from fraud when accepting payments online. PayPal also allows merchants to benefit from uplift in successful sale conversions by offering buyers a best in-class checkout experience. This added value for our customers, and their continued trust in us, will help sustain our leadership in the mobile and online commerce space today, and in the future.”